Design and Develop Learning Material (R6299)
This course is a SAQA unit standard-based course that teaches you how to plan, develop and design your own material and curricula, develop content for learning material and construct assessment instruments for general use and/or in line with the SETA requirements.
- Competent in Communications at NQF level 3 and are able to use basic data gathering methods.
- Competent at NQF level 4 to write texts for a range of communicative contexts.
- Competent in general analysis and design techniques, and have a working knowledge of outcome-based education and training. It is also assumed that learners are able to develop learning materials based on a given design.
- Have achieved unit standard NLRD 115753: Conduct outcomes-based assessment, or equivalent.
- Competent in the relevant field in which Practitioners are designing assessments, or have access to subject matter experts.
- Ability to analyse and interpret the relevant outcomes (or standards).
- Possess a working knowledge of outcome-based education and training.
This course is accredited with ETDP Seta and each learner will have to submit a Portfolio of Evidence after the training, upon being deemed competent, the learner will receive a Certificate of Competence.
This module is based on outcomes based learning principles where delegates are responsible for their own learning with support available when required.
- Formative Assessment – to be submitted 1 month from completion of the workshop
- Summative Assessment – to be submitted up to 6 months from submission of the Formative Assessment
Learners will have acquired these skills upon completion of the programme and completion of successful assessment:
Define target audience profiles and skills gaps
Develop and design outcomes-based learning programmes
Design and develop outcomes-based assessment instruments
Review and evaluate the design of learning material
DAY 1 – Registration
- Discuss the principles and mechanisms of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
- Explore Outcomes-Based Education and Training (OBET) including design / assessment principles.
- Explore the three learning domains.
- Gather information on learning needs and conduct a basic skills audit.
- Profile a target audience.
- Compile a report on the results of research and audit.
- Analyse Bloom’s Taxonomy.
- Identify the application of each level of the SAQA level descriptors.
- Discuss different learning approaches and the impact on design.
- Explore the difference between design of instruments for RPL and design for Summative Assessment.
- Deconstruct a unit standard and a qualification.
- Analyse the construct of a learning outcome.
- Define learning requirements for the assessment of Knowledge, Skill and Attitudes / Values.
- Plan and prepare for development of learning material.
- Define and draft learning outcomes.
- Analyse requirements and construct a brief based on drafted learning outcomes.
- Design the process of learning and develop the curriculum.
- Research and compile theoretical content to support foundational competence.
- Develop assessment guides and marking memoranda.
- Discuss and construct moderation guides.
- Construct an alignment matrix indicating assessment across all learning domains.
- Compile facilitator guides.
- Explore supporting documentation, resources and media for learning material.
- Compile drafts of designs for distance learning, on-the-job training, classroom training, self-directed learning.
- Pilot and evaluate learning design.
- Review design output.
* Portfolio compilation workshop.
Who Should Attend
- Learning and Development Practitioners.
- Human Resource Development Practitioners.
- Assessors and Moderators who must understand the construct and evaluation of assessment instruments.
- Any person who wishes to design and develop learning material for use in credit-bearing courses or in non-credit bearing courses, for any learning approach or delivery method.